Ontario Agri-Food Technologies Celebrates 20th Anniversary
OAFT’s mission is to provide leadership and coordination in utilizing technology to generate wealth and sustainability for the agricultural and food industries of Ontario by focusing on four key action areas:
- Encourage and support collaboration among public and private research groups to enhance the development and acceptance of products we produce.
- Development, support and coordination of research programs amongst Ontario's institutions; thereby providing new product opportunities, ensuring innovation, efficiency and focus, and establishing new research partnerships and business opportunities, many of which will be in non-food areas.
- Creating a skills and expertise database of Ontario Agri-Food Technologies research scientists in biotechnology and bioproducts to help ensure that the best scientific expertise is used on a specific project. Maintaining this resource will also facilitate communication regarding potential research projects and focus research on relevant applications.
- Securing funding to support research and development of new technologies and importantly, helping to find financing for companies to produce their products.
Technologies & Services
OAFT pro-actively supports the continued development and adoption of new agri-food technologies in a manner which will stimulate improvements in farm and food processing and industrial sustainability, profitability, and improve Ontario's strong position in the agri-food sector, both nationally and internationally.
OAFT's goal is the focal point for the coordination of Ontario's drive to research, develop and commercialize new technologies in Ontario. This is accomplished by:
- Developing, supporting and coordinating research programs among Ontario institutions.
- Assisting in the commercialization of biotechnology and bio-based products.
- Stimulating awareness, acceptance and use of biotechnologies by the agri-food sector.
- Educating stakeholders about the value and benefits of new technologies.
- Enhancing visibility and raising awareness of the agricultural and bioproduct industries of Ontario, in the rest of Canada and internationally.
Our success is dependent on maximum participation by our industry, government, university and grower association members.